We’ve been repairing our 1973 Triumph Stag soft top hood frame which was showing some signs of corrosion and needed some new pieces fabricated to replace parts lost to rust.
Our 1957 Jensen 541R/S is having issues with its radiator as well as an oil leak. The radiator has been removed so we can address the issue.
Our Peony Red Jensen has had its new chrome applied however we’d found that the rear window chrome wasn’t fitting properly so we’ve made an adjustment to allow the chrome to fit. This will be painted before fitting the chrome.
The 1973 White Jaguar E-Type dismantling continues under the capable hands of our technician Scott who has recently been focusing on taking apart parts, cleaning and organise them ready be re-fitted. He’s then sorted through the chrome to find out what parts need repairing and re-chroming.
We found some severe signs of rust appearing under the rear wheel arches of this 1997 Jaguar XK8. Although these are early signs of corrosion, its important to tackle it before it spreads too far. Pricey has fabricated new metal to replace the rusted area which he will need to repeat on the other side and then start and shape it all up.
Our 1965 Amphicar has had its brakes and suspension rebuilt recently to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Soon we will be carrying out a water test to test if the sealing around the doors is fully waterproof. If all goes well, we will see how it fairs out on the river.
Our 911 has recently left us after having its final paint completed. The paint shop soothed down the paint and resembled the whale tale and body kit so it looked back to new. The whale tale had also been painted in satin black to freshen it up.
Our 1962 TVR Grantura has come out of hibernation and into the workshop to have some TLC. Tom has made a bonnet latch to attach to the current lever. This is more of a cosmetic comfort alteration and simply makes the mechanism more use friendly.
We’ve also noticed that the speedo isn’t working correctly as the indicator tends to shake as it moves, making the speed readings inaccurate. A new earth cable has also been fitted.
We recently bought some shiny new equipment to add to our workshop. With three lifts already and with an increasing demand for another one, we invested in a new EAE lift as well as as headlight beam adjuster that allows us to seat car headlight beams at the correct height.
We had Auto Electrics come over to wire up all of the electrics on our 1968 Triumph TR5.
Our TR5 has had its bonnet repainted. The original paint job for this vehicle was done externally as per the clients request however we are now starting to see micro blistering within the paint and are endeavouring the rectify the problems.
Chris has stripped the bonnet to bare metal, applied rust treatment, added epoxy primer, body fill to smooth the imperfections and then applied polyfan filler primer which was rubbed down and covered in a high build primer. The final step was to then rub it down and re-paint it.
Ady has taken apart the lilac 1960 Jensen’s rocker shaft to be cleaned out and rebuilt to ensure it works as it should.
Brian has been gluing foam onto the front face of the rear quarter seat panels. He then stapled the cover to the top of the wood and glued the cover down over the lower mill board section. Once the rear quarter panel of the seat was finished, he could then get started on the others by following the same process. The next step was to glue the front flap to the seat base and add foam and wadding to the inside and outside of seat tub. By pulling the cover around the tub and gluing the edges, the cover can then sit taught to the seat, giving it a fitted and tight finish. The excess leather is then trimmed and the seat tub is finished.
Lydia has also been working on the lilac Jensen by cleaning up the metal frame for the front base seat and then covering the front of it in calico and wrapping it around the frame. She then drew out the flute line patterns for the front squab and the front base seats. Jensen’s don’t usually have fluting around the front squab and front base of the seats however this is something Gordon has requested. Lydia then cut out the leather for covering one of the front seat tubes. Then she clipped the front to the back for dewing and then she sewed all the pieces together.
Our dashing blue Toyota Hilux has come back in for its restoration to begin. After some discussions with the owners, we’re delighted to have this practical classic in the workshop as we endeavour to restore it to its hard-working glory.
This Toyota had previously been worked on by the owners themselves however we’ve found some errors in the restoration so far, which we’re working to correct to make sure the rest of the restoration moves forward positively. Unfortunately undoing these mistakes has doubled the expected project length however we understand that mistakes are easily made and we’re more than happy to work with people so that they get the best restoration result through combined efforts.
James has been working on the door panels which he’s removed to strip down and fabricate replacement elements. After repairing the rust, James was able to correct the dents and refit the skin to the door. This process will then be repeated on the other side. The wings that had been previously fit were misshapen and ill-fitting.