Due to a recent family bereavement of a very good customer of ours we have acquired this delightful British classic. Meet our 1961 Jaguar XK150 S.
Owned by the same family through 3 generations our XK150 S has been off the road for a number of years but has been dry stored for all of that time which makes for a very solid and lovely project.
We are now searching for a new home for her and someone who is looking for a small project.
She will take very little to get back on the road.
The Jaguar XK150 was introduced in 1957 as a replacement for the XK140. It is a front engine, rear wheel drive sports car and came in fixed-head coupe (FHC), drop-head coupe (DHC) and roadster forms, although production of the latter was delayed due to a fire at Jaguar’s Brown’s Lane plant.
The XK150 was Jaguar’s response to the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster. In its 250 bhp “S” configuration, it was faster than the XK 120 and XK 140, and even quicker than the C-Type to 100 mph. It was comfortable and weather-tight, with disc brakes from the D-Type racer. The XK 150 initially had the 3.4-litre engine of the 140, but the 210 bhp 3.8-litre engine from the Mark IX saloon was offered in late 1959.
Visually the XK150 was a much bulkier car than the preceding 120 and 140, with curved windshield, high wings and a bigger grille. The roadster was fitted with wind-up windows and lost the cut-down doors of its predecessor. Interior space was increased and coupe and convertible adopted the leather-trimmed dashboard of the roadster. Overdrive was optional, as was an automatic transmission.
Tuning options included the 210 bhp “Special Equipment” 3.4-litre model, with blue cylinder head. The most desirable model is the XK 150S. Notable for its straight-port head, high-lift cam and triple SU carburettors the XK150S developed 265 bhp with the 3.8-litre motor and distinctive gold-painted cylinder head. Final versions of the XK 150S were capable of 0-60 mph in seven seconds.
Total Jaguar XK150 production was 9,398 examples and of these, the XK150S model totalled 1,466 units, with 924 roadsters, 349 FHC and 193 DHC. Production halted as soon as the E-Type appeared.